How does our study apply to us today?
No corruption since the Ascension
The unholy trinity of Revelation 12 & 13
THE Dragon is the Devil
DEVIL LACKEY #1 The dragon that came of the earth is to rule the state(s) or governments on the earth according to the Devil’s will. His role is to corrupt the governments to serve the Devil.
Example: Religious Freedom is now defined in the U.S. as the Freedom to Worship.
Civil (or Civic) Religion is the only accepted religion. What are the doctrines of Civil Religion?
1. the existence of a powerful, wise, and benevolent Divinity, who foresees and provides for the life to come;
2. the happiness of the just;
3. the punishment of the wicked; and
4. the sanctity of the social contract and the laws.
The one false teaching in the eyes of Civil Religion is: intolerance.
How does Civil Religion help the government?
1. First, the social contract (constitution) validates the government and its laws because there is no person ruling by divine right. So, something transcendent takes its place.
2. Doctrines two and three encourage citizens to do their duty rather than their individual will.
3. A good divinity that hands out rewards for good behavior also assists in maintaining moral order within the state.
In American Civil Religion, two more doctrines are added:
4. Manifest Destiny; and
5. The anonymity of god. He has no name in America. It use to be that no Christian denomination could be singled out for approval by the state. During the last 50 years, we have adopted “diversity” and “multiculturalism” that adds many other gods and religions from taking center stage.
DEVIL LACKEY #2 The smaller dragon that came out of the sea is to rule the church on earth. His role is to cause the saints to worship the Devil. It also gives validity to lackey number one’s corruption of the government.
Examples: Church gives its blessing to abortion, homosexuality, same-sex marriages and ordinations.
Church doesn’t emphasize either God’s Law or God’s Gospel and denies the divine nature of the Holy Scripture.
In other words, the church avoids intolerance in order to remain in good standing with the government and the people. It upholds the social contract.
What is our Hope? Jesus Christ is our Hope.
The expectation that the church and the Christian should address the public arena on matters political or moral reflects the theology of a God of glory, not the theology of the hidden God. It often calls on God to do what He has never promised to do or to act in a way that He has not promised to act. The American religious consciousness that mixes church and state is a theology of glory.
Fundamentally, it is a false ecclesiology, an individualistic, Nestorian ecclesiology. Which is a Christological error teaching that the divine and human natures of Christ can be divided. The current Ecumenical Movement and American Civil Religion both teach that the church will be restored once they are united into one visible church body. (In the Western Church, the Protestants want to unite to form one large church body that compares in size and wealth to the Romans. The Romans are inviting the Protestants to join them into one large world-wide Roman church body.)